four. how's it fall already?

Oh hey, it's been awhile, huh?

A big part of that is because I am definitely and 100% fully into the swing of things with Lyfting full time and shenanigans. By the time I turn off for the day, I'm literally that gif of the cat shaking it's head with "NAH" on it. 

But, I figured a quick jaunt into the Lyft light wouldn't be a terrible idea.

I've had a ton of passengers that have been memorable and hilarious, or even just meaningful and provide optimism in this otherwise very bleak world of ours.

I. School Days, School Days.


Now that school's back in session, there have been many rides with kids of all ages, parents taking kids to daycare before heading into work or high school students grabbing Lyft to school because they either missed their bus, don't want to walk, or some other reason. Which... quite honestly, makes me a little jealous that Lyft didn't exist when I was a kid. The amount of hours I could have cut back on waiting for my ride home, man. The possibilities of all that extra time... 

One of the most memorable rides in the child category was a mom and daughter, mom was bringing daughter to daycare and daughter was maybe two or three. And extremely cranky. All she wanted was "MOAAAAANA" and "ICE CREAM!" in loud whiny tones in my backseat. Mom was definitely one of those moms who was firm in no meaning no and she also said she didn't have wireless so they couldn't watch Moana right then. So, I cooked up some magic thanks to my Apple Music subscription and played songs from the soundtrack which had both of them singing in my backseat. Definitely a highlight.

Though, to be fair, I'm terrified of the next generation. Kids at fourteen months are already able to hold phones and watch videos on devices in my backseat and it seems like the only thing to keep kids entertained is a screen. The number of conversations that parents start in about not having internet in their day and how kids had to go outside... I usually chime in about this time and fully agree. I've shared all too often that I was the lame kid who made cardboard video game consoles until I was lucky enough to get one for myself. Cause yep, that was a thing. Be jealous.

Another great young mind was a father and daughter, daughter was just going to start third grade the next day and I was giving them a ride home down in Farmington. This girl was adorable. I don't know how we got started on the topic, but her dad and I started talking about how we envy kids' ability to take naps and that the things you hate as a kid are usually things you long for as an adult. Naps, going to bed early, bath time (because who doesn't enjoy a long, relaxing soak?), etc. She didn't believe us, but then she started saying that she wanted to create break rooms at workplaces where adults could have all the fun adult things. Which included: Taco Bell on demand and served to you while you got your nails and toenails done, a pool, adult beverages (Taco Bell was considered "adult food") and everyone would have to take one nap a day. Both of us adults agreed that she needed to run for president immediately since every adult would vote for her. 

But it's not all youngsters these days.

II. I'm leaving on a jet plane.

I've found that if I end up getting on the road between 3:00-4:30am (trust me, I know, I feel the same way as you do with your reaction to that) and make a few airport runs, I can really maximize the day for profits since it's truly the easiest money to be had. Which sometimes makes for "less interesting" rides since we're both just starting to wake up and no one wants to have a super energetic fun conversation at 3:45 in the morning while on your way to the airport of all places, but I've gotten a few interesting passengers along the way.

First, I find it fascinating and both extremely upsetting and disheartening that I have a number of passengers that I'll pick up that early who are female who breathe the biggest sigh of relief once they're buckled into my backseat. I usually hear "I can't tell you how happy I am that I got you as a driver." Meaning that they're happy another female is driving them, rather than risking a male driver that early in the morning because who knows? Who knows what might happen. And how sad is it that it's 2019 and that's the mindframe that many women (myself included) have to have today? So the more I hear things like that and the more those rides turn out to be some of the most pleasant day starters, the more I like to make sure I'm out that early for those fellow females out there.

Second, if you're not taking Lyft or Uber to and from the airport for any trips, you're a fool. It's the easiest way to get there and back and couldn't be any more convenient at any hour of the day.

Third, I haven't flown since 2011 and my last trip was a vacation out to Las Vegas, courtesy of Delta completely botching my trip back from London and a free voucher for some dollar amount that got me to Vegas. I'm not too incredibly upset about that either. I drive into the airport and just seeing the line for anyone who doesn't have TSA pre-check at 4:30am at the main terminal here at MSP... I mean. It's four in the morning. The line looks like it would take two hours to get through alone. Precheck or no, I don't envy anyone who has to fly regularly or goes on trips often. Everything that accompanies flying is so extra.

III. Etcetera, etcetera, etcetera. 

Finally, there's the "everything else" category. People outside of the youngins and the airport folk who have left me with a smile or some kind of imprinted memory in mind.

Even today, I had a passenger who, the second she sat in my backseat, she was complaining about everything happening in her life with her family and their health. This was from the U of M to the MOA and while I wanted to be empathetic, it was amazing to hear someone open up and spill so much to a complete stranger without seemingly taking a breath.

I had the pleasure of visiting both the Medtronic and General Mills headquarter campuses in a single day, two places that I've viewed from the freeway but never drove onto the grounds of the property. Both are absolutely stunning, Medtronic especially. My passenger for General Mills was exceptionally hilarious, he'd flown in from Baltimore and while in my backseat he'd made a call to confirm a mix-up of some flowers going to a restaurant to his girlfriend that night while she was going to be out with her girlfriends. He said that he travels a lot and his girlfriend is someone he thinks the world of, so he likes making sure surprises like that can make her day when he can't be there. I told him that he absolutely wins for boyfriend of the year.

I've had many politically charged conversations, which gives me a lot of hope for the future. A very passionate exchange between an art student at the U and myself as we discussed the different Democratic candidates. A woman who lives just a few blocks south of Bde Maka Ska who's Lyft driver last time was complaining about the name change while she sensed he definitely wasn't a city native, but rather someone who lived further outside the city and probably voted for 45. Many have shared my own views and also believe there's plenty wrong with our government that needs to be addressed. Which more than anything, it gives me hope for 2020. Even more so after the insanity of the last two weeks.

I've also had really fantastic artistic conversations. I was lucky enough to have the Assistant Company Manager of the Guthrie for a long ride, which we talked about Paula Vogel and Lynn Nottage. I had an airport ride with an Emmy nominee for News and Documentaries that was from Dublin as we talked about great theaters in Dublin and Irish playwrights. I had a board member from Cookie Cart as we talked about the possibilities of next generation donors and funding for nonprofits in general. 

Good, bad, and all that's in between, it's been a crazy past couple weeks, but nothing has topped the stripper yet for awkward and amazing quotes. And for the most part, I haven't been out on Friday and Saturday nights which tend to bring the real stories and comical musings out. However, considering residency will be starting any day, bills gotta be paid so I'm sure I'll have more to report with various times of the day.

Until then.

P.S. Regarding Jeff Goldblum - one all star passenger recognized him because she has the open shirt, Jeff lying down photo as a shower curtain that was gifted to her by her stepdaughter to her and her husband as a joke, except they love it and accepted it for real. Her quote directly when I confirmed it was Ian Malcolm in Funko Pop form on my dashboard, "I thought I recognized those eyes staring at me again." Come to find out she works reception at the tattoo studio I got my last tattoo at - pretty sure that's grounds enough for me to return for my next inking. 

Comments

Popular Posts